13 years ago your little girl was born.
Now? She’s about to transform into a young woman.
Time sure flies, huh?
Tell me about it… I still remember my Bat Mitzvah ceremony as if it were yesterday (and it’s been more than 12 years ago, believe-you-me)!
And guess what? I’ll ALWAYS remember my Bat Mitzvah (as long as I stay healthy, Amen V’Amen)… it’s, hands down – one of the most special days in a Jewish woman’s life.
- Going shopping for the perfect Bat Mitzvah dress
- Delivering a nerve-wracking Bat Mitzvah speech in front of hundreds of people
- Wearing your Bat Mitzvah Tallit (pronounced “Bat Mitzvah Tallis” if you’re Ashkenazi) for the first time
- (Opening the Bat Mitzvah presents… 😏)
Ehm… What was I saying?
Oh right! Finding a Tallit prayer shawl for the Bat Mitzvah girl!
Let’s go do that, shall we? 🙂
How much money should you give for the upcoming Bar Mitzvah?
The million-dollar question (pun intended)…
… What’s too much money? What’s too little?
… And what’s the deal with the whole “multiple of 18” thing?
Don’t worry, this article will get rid of all your confusion…
How’s your child’s Bar or Bat Mitzvah preparation coming along? Hopefully, by now you should at least have:
- The venue? Booked 👍
- The food? Cookin’ 👍
- Your daughter’s Bat Mitzvah dress (or Bar Mitzvah suit for the boys)? Check 👍
Great! Lets the party started, then!
“HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, Rebecca! What about me? I’m the mother of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah and I don’t have a dress yet. Heck, I’m not even sure what I should wear!”
D’oh! Silly me!
Let’s get you all sorted out, shall we?
Bar/Bat Mitzvah kids adults these days don’t just want a Bar/Bat Mitzvah party. They want their party theme to match their “obsession of the day”.
- “Mommy, Daddy, I want a Football themed Bar Mitzvah!”
- “Mommy, Daddy, I want a beach themed Bat Mitzvah!”
- “Candy! I want candy!”
Now is the time to choose the main course.
And no, I’m not talking about the food… I’m talking about your Bar/Bat Mitzvah centerpieces & decorations.
Every Jewish parent would agree: getting your son’s first Tefillin (and Tallit) for his Bar Mitzvah is incredibly exciting…
That is – until you start researching the different types of Tefillin and what Tefillin you should buy… From that point, It doesn’t take parents more than a few minutes to realize: “damn, buying a Tefillin is more complicated, expensive, and dangerous than I thought.”
- You hear words you’ve never heard before… (Tefillin Peshutim? Tefillin Dakkot? Tefillin Gassot?)
- You wonder why prices vary so much… (and why they’re so damn high!)
- You’re trying to figure out the difference between Ashkenazi Tefillin and Sephardic Tefillin…
Confused? I don’t blame you…
That’s exactly why I wrote this Tefillin buying guide: to help you clear out the smokescreen, tell you everything you need to know about Tefillin, and even help you buy the best Tefillin set for your son’s Bar Mitzvah (or even for yourself).
Let’s get started!
The girl’s Bat Mitzvah is around the corner.
And you’re about to be a part of it…
Yippee! How exciting!
But before you hop on the dance floor and do the chair-dance (spoiler alert), you first need to get the girl a sparkling Bat Mitzvah gift.
A gift that shines… something that will light her up like a Menorah the moment she sees it for the first time.
And what better way to do that than with a unique Bat Mitzvah Jewelry gift?
After all – we all know that Jewish Jewelry gifts are THE best present you can get for a Bat Mitzvah girl on her big day. It’s the ultimate blend of beauty and meaning – which is exactly what the Bat Mitzvah ceremony is all about.
But what kind Jewelry gift should you get her? The million dollar question…
Should you get her a Star of David necklace? Maybe a Hamsa bracelet? How about a Shema Yisrael ring? Perhaps Roman Glass earrings?
Ahhhh! Too many choices!
No wonder people get overwhelmed…
That’s exactly why I spent hours writing this comprehensive Bat Mitzvah Jewelry gift guide…
To help you:
- … Escape the same cliché gifts everyone else gets
- … Avoid getting her Jewelry she’ll never wear (or worse – ones she’ll only wear when you’re around to not hurt your feelings)
- … Choose the best Jewelry gift the girl will absolutely LOVE (without spending hours (or days) browsing through endless Jewelry pieces that all look the same)
Follow the bling…
Your boy is about to celebrate his Bar Mitzvah… how exciting!
“Let’s raise a toast… L’chayim!”
Hold it there, chief! That’s not what the Torah means by “turning into an adult”. So please keep your boy away from the liquor cabinet for the next 8 years (or 5, depends where you live), m’kay?
So what if your boy is still “in development”? So what if his voice is squeaky? So what if his facial hair is still nowhere to be found (that’ll come in due time, don’t worry)…
As far as the Torah is considered – your boy is now considered a Bar Mitzvah – which means he’s eligible to all of the rights and responsibilities as an adult… because he is an adult.
And as an adult – now’s the time to start dressing like one… now’s the time to get your boy a beautiful Bar Mitzvah suit – a suit that transforms a sweet “little boy” into a handsome young man!
But getting a suit isn’t the same as getting the right suit. Many parents wonder:
- What suit should I get?
- When should I get it?
- How do I avoid a suit that’ll rip a hole in my wallet?
All fine questions… How about some answers?
Let’s go get em’!
Winston Churchill famously said:
“He who fails to plan is planning to fail”.
When you look at most parents planning their kid’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah… what do you see?
- You see a mother arguing with the venue owner over the decorations.
- A father negotiating rates with the caterer trying to lower the price per meal.
- Parents pushing buttons on a calculator like merchants in Thailand, desperately trying to keep expenses from inflating like a balloon.
Poor folks… no wonder they’re so stressed.
But you know what’s funny?
When you ask them: “how’s the Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation coming along?” – they’ll usually put on a nice [fake] smile on their face and say something like: “everything is going GREAT!”.
That’s the moment you realize: everything is NOT great.
The poor parents are racing against the clock, trying to plan the most amazing Bar/Bat Mitzvah party for their kids… but they’re fighting an uphill battle – filled with stress, anxiety and the fear of letting their kids down all lingering over their heads.
What did they do wrong?
Just like Churchill said: they failed to plan… and now they’re suffering the consequences: holes burning in their pockets, nasty bags emerging underneath their eyes, their brain is quickly turning into a pressure cooker.
That’s exactly why I created this guide: to help Jewish parents avoid that trap. Because unlike what pharmaceutical would like us to believe – prevention is always the best cure.
I’ll show you…scratch that. I’ll GIVE you the exact steps, tools, and timelines you need to plan an unforgettable Bar or Bat Mitzvah (without losing your mind in the process)…
Ready? Let’s begin…
Look at these shy tweens… standing there on the sidelines with their phones, instead of gettin’ Jiggy with it on the dancefloor.
But hey… can you blame them?
- They’re growing up in a social media world. Who needs the “real” world?
- Most Bar/Bat Mitzvah parties, to put it lightly, aren’t all that entertaining (read: most of them are BORING)
And when you put those two things together – don’t be surprised if kids are more interested in taking selfies, posting them on Instagram and comparing who’s got more likes.
Bottom line – this isn’t the 90’s anymore. Kids have smartphones – and they’re not afraid to use it.
There’s no point in denying it: if you want your guests to actually have fun at your kid’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah party – you’ll have to raise the bar (pun not intended).