Remember when you were a 1-year-old baby…?
Remember what it was like trying to figure out this whole “walking” thing…?
Remember crying your eyes out like a little baby, EVERY TIME you fell down on your ass…?
Well, allow me to refresh your memory… because believe it or not, the 1-year-old version of yourself is about to teach you a very valuable lesson.
But since it’s a 1-year-old and they can’t really talk that much, they’ll do it with just a single word…
The Power of Until
How did you learn how to walk?
I don’t think you read a dummies book about walking, or took a bunch of tests and waited for someone to tell you that you “passed”.
Most likely, it went something like this:
- Your parents are sick of seeing you crawl around like a little turtle (only less green)
- A parent (usually daddy) helps you stand up on your chubby little feet…
- You fall down. You cry. 😭
- Mom is mad at dad 😡and tries to calm the baby down
- Later mom & dad try again: they help you stand up, you take one step and fall down again.
- You cry again, but this time you cry less than you did before… because you realize that you completed ONE step, which is one step more than previously… Now you’re in the game baby (pun intended)!
- You stand up on your own, walk 3 steps, fall down… Now you’re getting all excited, and so are your parents who are filming the whole thing and encouraging you to keep trying until you “get it”… Go baby go!
- After a few more times of falling down, you finally are able to walk from one side of the room to the other.
- Victory at last. Life will never be the same again.
I bet this is pretty much what you went through trying to learn how to walk (+- the number of falls).
But wait a second…
How come you kept on going after you’ve fallen so many times?
How come you didn’t quit?
How come your parents didn’t just say: “it’s ok darling, this “walking thing” clearly isn’t for you… just sit down and keep crawling forever”.
Instead, they encouraged you to keep going… until you “get it”. Until you learn how to walk.
They realized that falling down is part of the process of learning how to walk.
So they encouraged you to keep trying, to keep falling… because that’s what it takes.
And lo in behold – somehow you mastered that skill… amazing, huh?
The good news? You can keep using it that simple framework to reach the rest of your goals.
Let me explain…
Harnessing the Power of Until
When we grow up, it seems obvious to get up every time we fall UNTIL we learn how to walk.
Question is – why do we forget the concept of “until” when we get older?
- “I’m unable to find a good spouse… What should I do?”
- “I can’t seem to find a good job… What do I do?”
Keep searching, keep learning, keep improving yourself, UNTIL you find one.
- “I’m unable to keep Shabbat… What am I supposed to do?”
Start small: start by not driving on Shabbat, continue by not using your phone… UNTIL you eventually keep Shabbat fully.
As adults – we face challenges in life…
But we forget that we also faced challenges when we were toddlers… and the way we overcome those challenges was through the mindset of “until”…
The power of “until” has saved our asses when we were babies. But remember – in order for “until” to continue saving your ass, you have to be willing to fall down on your ass a couple of times… until…
Amen to keep falling on your ass! (until)
Until next time 🙂